The term "analysis paralysis" refers to over-analyzing (or over-thinking) a situation, so that a decision or action is never taken, in effect paralyzing the outcome. A decision can be treated as over-complicated, with too many detailed options, so that a choice is never made, rather than try something and change if a major problem arises. A person might be seeking the optimal or "perfect" solution upfront, and fear making any decision which could lead to erroneous results, when on the way to a better solution.
Yep. That sounds about right.
As most of you know, Scott and I have put in an offer on a boat. It was not, however, an easy decision. I wrote in a previous post how there are actually several models of the boat we have chosen on the market which, in theory, might be seen as advantageous for us. We have learned that it is not.
Even having made a 'decision' and being under contract with a boat, Scott and I still constantly find ourselves going back and forth about what boat is the better boat for us (we ultimately narrowed our search down to two). And it's different every time. The little 'blip' in the process didn't help either. We revisit the listings, scour our comparison sheet, write new pro/con lists and talk in circles about the minute details of owning one boat versus the other. We have spent so many hours dissecting this whole thing that we are going a bit crazy and when good hearted people ask us how it's going, we both just fein a smile and say "fine" because hashing it out again would be exhausting. We have officially reached (dun, dun, dun) analysis paralysis.
"But you have an offer on a boat already and a deposit has been paid!" you might say. And yes, that is true. What some of you may not realize, however, is that we are not actually obligated to buy this boat until we accept it after the sea trial and survey. Not only that, but at any point the owner can decide not to sell it to us. This deal is far from over.
It has been over two months since we first saw the boat that we "decided on" and I am beginning to think that we've just been away from her a little too long which is why doubt continues to creep into our heads. I am hoping that when we head south this week to sea trial her, everything will be hunky dory again and we'll know we made the right choice. She is, after all, the boat that Scott looked up at me and said, "Honey, I think this is our next boat" while we were digging around the first time and that has got to count for something, right?
All I know for sure is that for a typically decisive person, over analyzing is utterly paralyzing. And frustrating. And exhausting. But despite feeling a little lost in the game at the moment, we remind ourselves that we are *this* close to our new boat and no matter what, when the time is right - we will have her - whichever and wherever she is!
Brittany, Scott & Isla