Monday, January 28, 2013

Simple Solutions are Sometimes Best

Isn't it funny how sometimes the cheapest, simplest solution is often the most evasive?  When we put our new anchor on our boat, it became immediately apparent that we'd need a way to prevent it rocking side to side when we were underway.  Tying it off prevented any up/down and forward/back motion, but regardless of how much we tied and how tight we pulled, the side to side rocking could not be quelled.  It might not seem like a big deal to those of you who aren't boaters, but a 73 pound anchor rocking to and fro and banging against the bow roller over and over is not only dangerous, but would make a tremendous ruckus in our boat.  We needed a better way to secure it before we left.

Our first idea was to modify our bow roller to accomodate our specific anchor.  That seemed simple enough.  We called a local metal working company and after they presented us with a quote for over $2,500.00, the decision to go a different route was very easy.

It became comical, actually, how many people were putting their heads together on this thing.  Even guests here at the building we are docked behind came over to offer their two cents on how to rectify our issue.  With each new idea the solution snowballed into something more and more complex.  I'm all for brainstorming, but this was getting out of hand. One afternoon, when Scott and some of our friends were on the bow talking about new rollers, drilling contraptions into the deck, raising the windlass, the addition of a pulley system and god knows what else I said, "We need a block to fit around the top of the anchor, essentially wedging the anchor into the roller, and then we need a hole in the top of that block to lash it down to the roller".   The guys looked at me, looked at the roller, scratched their heads and after a pause replied, "That could work".

And it did.  The very next day Scott fabricated my solution with $25 bucks worth of parts, and a little modification of his own.  What we did was make a block out of pieces of starboard, with a slot down the middle for the anchor shank to fit in.  Scott made the block sightly larger than the bow roller, and then routed out the sides of the block (with the new router I got him for Christmas!) so that it fit in the roller exactly.  With the sides routed out (Scott's brilliant modification) the block will not slide fore or aft, and all I need to do is lash it down to the bowsprit with some line through the hole he drilled though the top.  Make sense?  I'm sure there are other solutions, but we think this will work for now.




It's strangely easy to overcomplicate things on a boat (we've done it time and time again).  But usually, there is a very simple solution for just about any problem.  You just need to clear the table, clear your head and find it - it might mean the difference between $25 and $2,500!

8 comments:

Felicity MotorBoat said...

Your so smart!!! Good on ya girl! xoxox

Anonymous said...

very nice simple and inexpensive solution, i like it

Terry L said...

The best part is if it breaks, you will know how to make another one. Good job… :)

Alex Jomarron said...

Another example of the old adage, "Necessity is the mother of invention." Well done!

Dani said...

Yes, great idea! So simple and it looks like it would work perfect. I imagine you could use wood also.

I LOVE solutions like these.

Robert Salnick said...

I'll refer you to Salnick's First Law :).

If you permit, this will go up on Small Boat Projects...

bob
s/v Eolian
Seattle

Brittany Meyers said...

Glad you guys liked this solution :)
@Bob, feel free to post on Small Boat Projects :)

Mike McGuire said...

Very cool. With me being frugal (read cheapskate), I love to use MacGyver sense whenever possible. This is a great example!

Mike
www.siochana.us

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...